grinding trees?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Architect Expertise.

Moderators: Savacc, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

grinding trees?

Post by gelgamesh » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:27 am

I know this was discussed elsewhen but i can't find that thread. Can someone point me the way to the fastest/ best schematic grind to excel in? i.e. I started as an engineer and started grinding with reverse engineering tools, then moved to v1 computers, then AB-1 land speeders, then respecced to struc because i didn't seem to be making a dent in the leveling bar. what's the best schematics to grind in this class?

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:34 pm

Architect the best leveling item is now fountains I believe. Just buff up and go with practice mode.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 pm

I want it on record that I am philosophically opposed to what you are doing. However if you must do it, this thread tells you how:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=251254

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:55 am

thank you both and savacc this is all theoritical of course. How about if i only grind on casual fridays :shock:

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:34 am

What you wear while grinding and wether you can only do it once a week or not, is not what I am objecting to. :roll:

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:32 am

ok, you win, i'm going now.
I guess you found your "Instrument of Moderation" after all.

balazsk
Novice Crafter

Re: grinding trees?

Post by balazsk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:23 pm

gelgamesh wrote:I know this was discussed elsewhen but i can't find that thread. Can someone point me the way to the fastest/ best schematic grind to excel in? i.e. I started as an engineer and started grinding with reverse engineering tools, then moved to v1 computers, then AB-1 land speeders, then respecced to struc because i didn't seem to be making a dent in the leveling bar. what's the best schematics to grind in this class?
I'm with Savacc here - actually, I haven't found it necessary to do any kind of grinding at all so far. If you want to level up, just create meaningful items that you can sell.
I've read it in one of the threads that as soon as you can craft a small house, do so. There are always people out there looking for houses and unable to craft them themselves - supply them yourself. Me, I've crafted at least 15 small houses so far, and made good money out of putting them up for auction at a popular area, like Mos Eisley on Tatooine. You can even sell harvesters and power generators this way.

The long and short of the story is that instead of going to practice mode and - sorry to put it this way, but in my opinion - wasting your precious resources on grinding, pick out schematics for items that you can sell and craft those. You'll get just a little less XP out of it, but you'll get a chance to earn a living, and believe me, you'll need the money later on.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:54 pm

Generally speaking, for new Traders without previous experience in the crafting area, my advice in the Beginners Guide for Traders holds: in the end of the day you will need quality resources of various kinds, some that spawn quite seldom, you will need knowledge, it takes time to find out what you love the most. Avoiding the grind gives you the time to find all that.

Grinding, without having a full stock of quality resources and knowledge, that will only make you really pissed when you reach Master and find that you have a title but not what it takes to live up to it: lack of knowledge and unable to craft the best stuff since you lack the necessary resources. And frustrated players, hmmm, they ain't fun, neither for themselves nor their fellows ;)

However, everybody is one's own guide, right?

/Z

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:15 pm

I've sadly enough done both the slow crafting grind (when it was crafters) when I first started. Since then and when I do new toons, I do the fast grind. But I agree with the guys, if you're new, do the slow grind, otherwise you will never understand how the class works and be able to use it well.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm

thegreywolfe wrote:I've sadly enough done both the slow crafting grind...
Yes, I fully agree. The grind for Traders are not in any way as fun as the one for combateers may be (note the "may" here since so many players seems to make everything the boring way ;) ) since there simply are no fun parts to the grind. There are no quests, no real missions, plain nothing but grind until its time to buy another mouse.

Over the years I have seen proposals, and written a few myself, for group crafting quests, such as building a big space ship taking dozens of components which require subcomponents, etc. Finally delivering to the patron, who takes off, leaving you with the XP. Same thing for larger buildings, for example in some remote area of Restuss, which seems to need constant repairs, or the Village somewhere. That would be fun, you get your share of XP depending on what you submit to the quest but will have plenty of fun with other crafters. And then ... some cool rewards of course: consumable trader stims, enhanced tools, etc, some harder to get than others, possibly some requires not just a master but a skilled master to obtain. You name it.

But the current grind is boring, that is why taking it slow is more fun, besides the 1) gather essential resources of great quality, 2) learn the skills necessary to compete, 3) find your way in the Trader class.

/Zimoon