Resources & their usage for apps

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Resources & their usage for apps

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Is there anyway that I can download the entire list of resources that have spawned? I've seen here and on swgcraft where I can download the current ones, but I'd like to be able to download the complete list for use with some of the tools I have.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:17 am

It isn't possible, no (It would take up rather much bandwidth seeing that for each user downloading it, it would use approx. 85 megabyte compressed (And this number would only rise over time). And that's the way we store it, if it were to have the same format as the export file that you can currently download, it would take up twice as much I'd guess)

Besides, why does an application need the entire resource list?
Last edited by Sobuno on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:09 pm

This has been an ongoing request for decades, ... uhhm, since the dawn of SWG anyway. I agree with Sobonu, there is no real need to have everything off-line but to feed peoples ego or similar.

For inventory applications people already have the stats read in-game. For example MyRes has a handy download thingie that assumed the player has the name it downloads automagically the stats for that resource, from old SWGCraft.com though.

For finding anything best-of-galaxy, people should use the Find feature which was promptly fixed yesterday.

Can somebody come up with some heavy weight arguments for the full download?

/Z

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:08 pm

For me it would mostly be convenience, my ability to update offline spreadsheets is difficult and I was looking for an easier way to do it. I also wouldn't be interested in the whole database, just the Bria portion. No worries for now, I'll just update it from home with the resources I currently have.

I really wish SOE would make it possible for me to export my resource list and amounts from the game.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:55 pm

Have you tested the MyRes tool, found at http://myres.wendano.de? It will keep track of a lot. Unfortunately there are not much of updates to the schematics yet. Fortunately we have heard rumors that this site may be going to export the schematics in some XML format :)

I am also pottering with some stuff that will resemble MyRes once finished.

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Zimoon wrote:Have you tested the MyRes tool, found at http://myres.wendano.de? It will keep track of a lot. Unfortunately there are not much of updates to the schematics yet. Fortunately we have heard rumors that this site may be going to export the schematics in some XML format :)

I am also pottering with some stuff that will resemble MyRes once finished.

/Z
Hmm, I actually thought we already had that XML export going (At least I see a file with schematics data in the directory where the rest of the downloads reside)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 am

Then it's just me being a bit behind, not unusual, is it not?

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:09 am

Shouldn't we have a link at the front page to some kind of Download page?
/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:59 am

Well, I took a look at any code I would have guessed that could be making the schematics XML file, but I don't see it.... So it is probably just the XML file that we imported the schematics from that I just misplaced

But yeah, should probably add a "Data Export" link at the front page to downloads like current resources, resource tree, server and planet information and such

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:10 am

Great
/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:13 am

Possibly the easiest thing is to just have them in their own directory and permit directory listing in that one, is it?

Right now they are in the /dev/ directory which is the base directory.

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:15 am

BTW, the schematic XML file,
which format does it have?
does it conform to the old schematics XML file I pottered with at the old SWGCraft.com? Or do you use some other format?

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:39 am

Zimoon wrote:Possibly the easiest thing is to just have them in their own directory and permit directory listing in that one, is it?

Right now they are in the /dev/ directory which is the base directory.

/Z
Well, they aren't exactly in the dev directory, just the PHP that forwards you to the actual file is located there.... I prefer to keep it that way so we can limit access to our files (So that specific files can only be downloaded a certain times a day and such)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:39 am

Zimoon wrote:BTW, the schematic XML file,
does it conform to the old schematics XML file I pottered with at the old SWGCraft.com? Or do you use some other format?

/Z
Well, I think it is your schematics file that we have 0_o

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:36 am

Sobuno wrote:
Zimoon wrote:BTW, the schematic XML file,

/Z
Well, I think it is your schematics file that we have 0_o
Ooops, then it is old and not updated in a while. It is in my backlog but there will be some time until I get it done.

What I would want to see happen is a way for trusted members of this site to be able to add/edit schematics in some web UI. Probably we need to backup as well log changes to be able to restore evil edits.

A Remove is not necessary, but a way to say "obsolete" for old schematics. Could be cool to have them for nostalgic reasons ;)

Once that is done, a cron job that once a day creates a new XML. I need to potter a bit with the old layout since now there are less crafting professions and a lot of schematics are shared over the borders. The old style did not count for that change. How urgent is this layout overhaul?

/Zimoon