Downloading all resource data ?

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

atesz108
Novice Crafter

Downloading all resource data ?

Post by atesz108 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:54 pm

HI guys!

Sometimes not all the data is filled (or none) at some or most resources at the current resource page (check flora resources on Farstar). I downloaded the current resources for this server and put them in an XLS file. I need ALL resource data from this server to make a match on the records with VLOOKUP function. How can I download all the resource data (not just the current spawns, but all what spawned in this galaxy) ? I couldn't find any way to do it.

THX

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Downloading all resource data ?

Post by Zimoon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:47 am

This is not possible and I believe it will not be possible. It has been discussed in other threads.

Personally I cannot really see the benefit either. You can use Find Resources to find certain stats, filtered on resource classes if you want that. If it is the resources you personally have in stock it is a limited number and no need for a galaxy-wide database of hundred of thousands of resources.

A huge download could also give the impression it is an exhaustive and thorough collection, which may not be true since it is just as good as the user base for that galaxy have made it to be. This statement also answers an implied question in your post, "why is not all resources listed?" That is up to you and your Farstar fellows to submit data for :)

IMHO too many individuals would just download such a file but after that they will never really use it. That is, they would abuse the free service of this site and the bandwidth that the Devs pay for, but they would never use the content to justify that.

There is a way to lookup an individual resource from a third party tool given you know its name. This site supports SOAP queries and you may want to have a look at the SOAP/WDSL page at http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/soap/server.php.

Finally, welcome to SWGCraft, I noticed this is your first post here :D

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Downloading all resource data ?

Post by Sobuno » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Zimoon summed it up nicely + generating such a file would be additional work for the server as it has to format the almost 800.000 resources (+ planet availability info) in another way than they are stored (The export files take up more bytes per resource than the resources do when stored in the database)