Engineering - WS Expertise?

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Artisan Expertise.

Moderators: Feralmonkey, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Borderlad
Novice Crafter

Engineering - WS Expertise?

Post by Borderlad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:10 pm

(Ignoring the difference in RE...)
Is there anything an Engineer-WS can do that a Munitions-WS can not?
Is there any usefulness at all to the WS line of Engineering expertise?

I realize that the absence of an Engineer-WS forum is probably a strong indicator of the answer, but I still want to ask.
"I never heard of a board attacking anybody." - B. Lee

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Engineering - WS Expertise?

Post by Zbignew » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Did you play pre-NGE? The game is different now. Trader/Engineer and Trader/Munitions are the current professions. If you look under the 'view schematics' menu and then sort by profession, you can see the difference in items that can be made. Basically once you are beyond the 'Artisan" level, Engineers make droids, cybernetics and specific BE components while Munitions does weapons and armor and their own set of components.
if you are new, welcome :D , if not welcome back.

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

Borderlad
Novice Crafter

Post by Borderlad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi! Yes, I played pre-NGE. The Jedi village (Aurilia?) was the newest addition to the game, last I played.

Thank you for your reply!
I didn't quite get the information I was looking for, though. I will try to be more exacting with my questions.

Both Trader/Engineer and Trader/Munitions have, in their expertise trees...
- Weaponsmith Dexterity (bonus to weapon assembly)
- Weaponsmith Hypothesis (bonus to weapon experimentation)
- Weaponsmith Advanced Theory (bonus weapon experimentation point)

Trader/Engineer and Trader/Munitions characters built with those weaponsmithing-specific expertise boxes are what I was lazily referring to as 'Engineer-WS' and 'Munitions-WS.'

What I am trying to find out is this:
Since I want to make both a Trader/Munitions and a Trader/Engineer, and I plan to have the Trader/Munitions character take the weaponsmithing-specific expertise boxes, then is there any reason for me to have the Trader/Engineer also take the same weaponsmithing-specific expertise boxes?

Do the BE components a Trader/Engineer makes either require or benefit from the Trader/Engineer taking the weapon-specific expertise boxes?

Are there any weapons or weapon components that a Trader/Engineer can make that a Trader/Munitions can not? -Or are the weapons and weapon components a Trader/Engineer can make simply a subset of the weapons and weapon components a Trader/Munitions can make?

I can go read through the full schematics lists of the two professions and hunt for matches and non-matches among the schematics for weapons and weapon components while trying to sift through the armor, droids, cybernetics, associated components and BE components. But I'm hoping somebody already knows the answer. Grueling list-comparison is one of my least favorite forms of research. :|

[Edit] ...and thank you also, for the welcome-back! :D

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 pm

See this Thread

When the NGE first started, there was some overlap. Engineers could make some of the same weapon schematics that Munitions Traders could, so Engineers were given the weaponsmith expertise options too. Munitions Traders had all of the Weaponsmith Schematics, Engineers had about a quarter of them also. There was not a case where Engineers had weapon schematics that Munitions did not.

When Chapter 8 (the major update to Crafting in the NGE) came, Engineers were given something that Munitions did not get, the ability to RE Weapon Attachments and Power-ups. Munitions got the ability to make Armor Attachments and Power-ups. I think, but am not sure, that the Weapon Schematics for Engineers were removed at that time, since Engineers did not use them.

Currently, if you want to make weapons, you must be a Munitions Trader. However if you want to make Weapon SEAs or Power-ups, you must be an Engineer Trader.

I dont know of any reason for an Engineer to take the weapons expertise options, but Im the Structures Moderator, Engineers are not my area of expertise. :wink:

Borderlad
Novice Crafter

Post by Borderlad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Exactly what I needed to know.
Thank you very much!