The "real" version right away?
14%

Total votes: 7

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Next SWGAide soon available

Post by Zimoon »

Hi friends and strangers,

Finally, these 4 torturing months are going towards an end. If you have followed my nearby diary you noticed that this has been a 7 days a week activity going on, most of my spare time. Now I see a bright light in the end of the tunnel. Nobody is happier than ... my wife 8)

However, we have to agree that not so many "test pilots" joined the ride. I am happy for the few that did and the bugs they found. But let's face it, not so much testing has been done.

Because of the scarse testing I feel worried, in what shape is the new SWGAide? How many hidden bugs are there? This is the real reason for this poll, I want to know your opinion as a guidance.

Feel free to also post a comment.

Time frame? Tonight it looks like there can be a version ready next week.

Greetings
/Zimoon
Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: Next SWGAide soon available

Post by Monty Burns »

Personally I think you should get it into a functional "stand alone" form and then release it as an "open beta" for a couple of weeks before releasing the final.

I don't mind testing something that is almost complete but I am terrible at testing pieces of software.
Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel »

I haven't had the will or the time to lend my testing time Zimoon, I feel bad about that. But I am rather fond of the Google approach -- release something in respectably stable beta state and let it sit there as long as it needs to as you polish it. It doesn't need to be perfect immediately, and no amount of volunteer alpha testers are going to catch the bugs that a whole fleet of end-product users will find within an hour. :P
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org
maninspace
Intermediate Crafter

Post by maninspace »

OMG Zimoon,
now I return after some busy months of RL - and have to see, you are working on a new version...
I think, I have to do some installations tonight. May I use both versions parallel - one working and one for testing?

Keep on RoCKing!

ManInSpace
SWG/DE Chronicle Master Correspondent

Europe-Farstar:
Horman Sheridan, Ta-awe Ifofa, Sahoo Arej, Anke Strassburg
Starsider:
Horman Sheridan, Hormon Sheridan
Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon »

OK, I see the weight towards "yet another test release" and that is OK with me ;)

I will do it like this:
The conversion tool will be available at the download area at Google, salute to free services ;)
Both versions will be available at the usual download area, side by side.
The old version will display the update-available screen.
Those players that want to stick with the old version will see this screen each time they launch SWGAide 8)

So, this way it will be a choice for the player to make, continue with the old or jump on the new one, either way.

I think it is no need to continue the poll, I hear the underwhelming roar from the crowd :lol:

Thanks

/Zimoon
passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 »

I will do my part to do heavy bug testing on the 07.77 beta this week. I will extensively test and give constructive feedback on any residing bugs that may be present still. You have done your part and now its time we all step in and help you out more =)
Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon »

Thanks P,

Truthfully, I love playing SWG and pottering with SWGAide at my spare time, so I have no expectations nor claims in any directions whatsoever. I would be coding on it and make the result available even I was the only user so ...

But ... the thing is that if I was the only user there would be lots of bugs. All of us usually have our own pattern for how we use applications, which make us find bugs aligned to a pattern. Hence, the more users the more likely it is that we find more bugs.

I enjoy feedback and cheers, it makes me my day. And for all of us SWG-crafters I appreciate any bug report, from the smallest to the severe, which there was one already fixed :)

/Zimoon