SWGAide and Windows 7

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

SWGAide and Windows 7

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:57 am

I assume this has been asked somewhere but I couldn't turn up anything from a quick search.

Has anyone had any issues getting SWGAide to run under Windows 7?

I am playing around with the OS on a secondary computer, I can fire up the swgaide.jar file, enter my swgcraft info and select my characters but as soon as I go to the resource page I get the following message.

temp\swgcraft-sunrunner-current.xml (the system could not find the path specified)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide and Windows 7

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 am

Monty Burns wrote:I assume this has been asked somewhere but I couldn't turn up anything from a quick search.

I am playing around with the OS on a secondary computer, I can fire up the swgaide.jar file, enter my swgcraft info and select my characters but as soon as I go to the resource page I get the following message.

temp\swgcraft-sunrunner-current.xml (the system could not find the path specified)
Windows has lately been a sore spot, Vista introduced an awkward "protection/security" system that forced users to manually tweak properties for folders and applications so they could be run in Administrator mode. With W7 it was said to become better but I am not so sure.

In http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... 551#p14551 I suggested users to ensure that SWGAide runs in admin mode. However, in this case I am not so sure. Does the text read exactly that text with "swgcraft" at the beginning?

1) Please, open the SWGCraft dialog: Options >> SWGCraft and tell me what all the fields in the dialog reads.

2) Did you use an old DAT file? A converted DAT file? Or did you start from scratch?

Cheers
Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 am

Zimoon wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:I assume this has been asked somewhere but I couldn't turn up anything from a quick search.

Windows has lately been a sore spot, Vista introduced an awkward "protection/security" system that forced users to manually tweak properties for folders and applications so they could be run in Administrator mode. With W7 it was said to become better but I am not so sure.

In http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... 551#p14551 I suggested users to ensure that SWGAide runs in admin mode. However, in this case I am not so sure. Does the text read exactly that text with "swgcraft" at the beginning?

1) Please, open the SWGCraft dialog: Options >> SWGCraft and tell me what all the fields in the dialog reads.

2) Did you use an old DAT file? A converted DAT file? Or did you start from scratch?

Cheers
Zimoon
It actually says...

Connection Error:

This is a completely new install, I replaced a hard drive and decided to take the opportunity to play with W7 without it affecting my game machine.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Zimoon wrote:1) Please, open the SWGCraft dialog: Options >> SWGCraft and tell me what all the fields in the dialog reads.

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 pm

I run Win7 64-bit and swgaide without any issues.

I have however UAC turned off, as SWG and Station launcher kept bitching me about administrator mode.
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Zimoon wrote:1) Please, open the SWGCraft dialog: Options >> SWGCraft and tell me what all the fields in the dialog reads.

I assume this is what you are after, I removed the Username and Password.

And just to verify the other error:

Ok it is official I like the snip program that comes with W7.
:)
Last edited by Monty Burns on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks MB, I will have a look but tonight is too late and I have an early conference call at work tomorrow. Early for me anyway -- 6.30 AM :mrgreen:

It seems really odd. I must ask in what mode you login, as administrator or user without much privileges?

I see at the lower right corner of your screen shot that the "error" bulb shines red, please email me the log file, do not post it here in the case it contains sensitive data. Address is simongronlund ((x)) gmail at the com domain.

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 am

Zimoon wrote:Thanks MB, I will have a look but tonight is too late and I have an early conference call at work tomorrow. Early for me anyway -- 6.30 AM :mrgreen:

It seems really odd. I must ask in what mode you login, as administrator or user without much privileges?

I see at the lower right corner of your screen shot that the "error" bulb shines red, please email me the log file, do not post it here in the case it contains sensitive data. Address is simongronlund ((x)) gmail at the com domain.

/Zimoon
I have admin rights.

I really don't think the issue is a SWGAide one though I think it has something to do with the installation and Windows 7

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:20 pm

I installed a fresh version of SWGAide and most of my problems are gone :P

The only thing I have to do now is manually copy ISD Droids reports from the SWG Mail folder to SWGAide mail folder.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm

AtiInc wrote:I installed a fresh version of SWGAide and most of my problems are gone :P

The only thing I have to do now is manually copy ISD Droids reports from the SWG Mail folder to SWGAide mail folder.
:shock: manually, that is horrendous. I will contact you in-game.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:43 am

Well I think I am hoisting the white flag on W7 I have remove SWGAide, down loaded it again and now it wont even let me unzip the file due to a permissions issue yet the permissions box is greyed out.

I am thinking I will return to Vista or XP until SP1 for W7.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:50 am

Monty Burns wrote:...I am thinking I will return to Vista or XP until SP1 for W7.
Sounds like a plan.

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Or, disable UAC. which is probably what gives you all of these errors.
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:33 pm

I have Win7 64bit and am not having any of the specific permissions problems you are having, and SWGAide installs and runs just fine. Returning to Vista won't help you if the problem is actually that UAC is controlling your everything, since UAC was even more intrusive and annoying in Vista. Advise just turning it off completely -- if you're even slightly smarter than a space slug, you'll be just fine.

I have had some issues between my nVidia cards and Java which unfortunately make SWGAide a bit prickly in regards to how it renders different windows and buttons, but that's another story, and I don't think Windows 7 is to blame any more than SWGAide is, it's just the way Java butts heads with multiple cards in SLI config. The important thing is that it works.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 am

You are correct the UAC was the issue, I switched it off and the installation went ahead without issue.

I had hoped this wasn't going to be necessary but there ya go.

After things were installed I tried reactivating the UAC settings (I also tried lower ones) and the same problems returned so it seems that it has to remain off for SWGAide to run.
Last edited by Monty Burns on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.