error parsing mails

Moderator: Forum Moderator

wannab
Novice Crafter

error parsing mails

Post by wannab » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I am running win7 64, and latest release of swgaide. When I start swgaide i get an error parsing mails and the error box says problems reading some mail headers. see the logs\mail-error.txt for details, but the mail-error txt is blank. I have tried a few things like turning off uac which seemed to help some with other errors but no dice. Also the automated error reporting by clicking the red dot at the bottom right of swgaide window glitches, when clicked it seems to continually open the compose error log mail box to create mail or do it manually options, the only way to shut swgaide down is to end task to task manager because once the compose error log box it open you cannot click anything else on swgaide.

here is a snip from the error log that is generated though.

[Sat Feb 20 08:31:12 CST 2010 | version 0.7.84 == EXCEPTION == SWGMailMessage:parseHeader: C:\Users\DP\Desktop\swgaide\mails\Starsider\XXX\983227588.mail: mails\Starsider\XXX\983227588.mail (The system cannot find the file specified)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: mails\Starsider\XXX\983227588.mail (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileReader.<init>(Unknown Source)
at swg.model.mail.SWGMailMessage.parseHeader(SWGMailMessage.java:405)
at swg.model.mail.SWGMailMessage.<init>(SWGMailMessage.java:148)
at swg.model.mail.SWGMailBox.fetchMails(SWGMailBox.java:369)
at swg.gui.SWGInitialize.scanForMails(SWGInitialize.java:719)
at swg.gui.SWGInitialize.access$9(SWGInitialize.java:708)
at swg.gui.SWGInitialize$11.doInBackground(SWGInitialize.java:544)
at swg.gui.SWGInitialize$11.doInBackground(SWGInitialize.java:1)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[Sat Feb 20 08:31:12 CST 2010 | version 0.7.84 == EXCEPTION == SWGMailMessage:parseHeader: C:\Users\DP\Desktop\swgaide\mails\Starsider\XXX\984568652.mail: mails\Starsider\XXX\984568652.mail (The system cannot find the file specified)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: mails\Starsider\XXX\984568652.mail (The system cannot find the file specified)
[Sat Feb 20 08:31:12 CST 2010 | version 0.7.84 == EXCEPTION == SWGMailMessage:parseHeader: C:\Users\DP\Desktop\swgaide\mails\Starsider\XXX\988640327.mail: mails\Starsider\XXX\988640327.mail (The system cannot find the file specified)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: mails\Starsider\XXX\988640327.mail (The system cannot find the file specified)

This may be windows 7 specific, I have another machine running xp and I will try the latest version of swgaide on it as well.
Last edited by wannab on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: error parsing mails

Post by Zimoon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Have you read the read-me file and set the preferences for the SWGAide.JAR file to execute in admin mode?

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:59 pm

And, yes, I will add an early check for this in the upcoming bug-fix release 8)
/Zimoon

wannab
Novice Crafter

Post by wannab » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:51 pm

well the only problem i have found so far is that when i right click the jar file i am not presented with the option to run in admin mode, unless someone else knows a work around all i have found is trying to launch the jar through cmd while cmd is in admin mode and that will make it work, anyone know how to set the file so that all i have to do is double click it? the shortcut on the desktop has the adv properties greyed out so that i cannot click the checkbox for admin, i have read the other thread about vista but it appears this does not work in 7 as the file properties security tab and edit already has all boxes checked.

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Post Icons? What are they?

Anyways, I also have this happening with windows 7, however, I have found that everything is working even though I recieve an error message, this may well explain the lack of information in the notepad document.

Also yes, the report bug is broken for Windows 7 and Vista, seems to run on a recursion. Although, I use SWGCraft and GC as my bug hunting tools, eh Zim? :P

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:28 pm

AtiInc wrote:Post Icons? What are they?
Look to the right of your username in your post (If you are using the SWGCraft skins/subSilver that is)

wannab
Novice Crafter

Post by wannab » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:41 pm

AtiInc wrote:Post Icons? What are they?

Anyways, I also have this happening with windows 7, however, I have found that everything is working even though I recieve an error message, this may well explain the lack of information in the notepad document.

Also yes, the report bug is broken for Windows 7 and Vista, seems to run on a recursion. Although, I use SWGCraft and GC as my bug hunting tools, eh Zim? :P

unfortunately for me when i get the error none of the emails update, from what i can see it is an admin issue, i can run swgaide from cmd with admin rights and it will work fine, and that is the only way i can get it to work it seems, i have tried multiple things and have scoured the net to see if i could find how to associate jar files to run as admin with no luck except for the run through cmd tip. also the only time i get the error is when i have new mails

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:29 pm

I am confused, or boozed 8)

Whatever, does it not work to right click the JAR file and select Preferences and there it should be something about security or whatever. Unfortunately I do not have an Windows 7 so ... Soon I will be handed one at work though, but that's a few weeks ahead. Other players speak of both admin mode and disabling UAC, I am not sure.

Is it the UAC that also "obfuscates" the file path to read within a "user" file path rather than the true path at the hard-disk? If so you may have to nuke the DAT file and start over. Unless you had loads of inventory resources that you have not backed up I guess that is worth it.

Looping error mails. I cannot understand how that would happen. Do you mean that if you click the red error bulb the system tries to open and open and open the mail client all the time??

/Zimoon

wannab
Novice Crafter

Post by wannab » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:35 pm

That is correct about the error log, at least that is what it seems to be doing.

As for windows 7, there is a place in properties - security that you can add all the check marks as in the thread that covered an issue with vista. Unfortunately all are already check and it doesn't seem to matter, also if i create a shortcut on the desktop I can click adv prop but the box is grayed out to run as admin. It is an admin issue though, and not something wrong with swgaide. I can run swgaide from admin cmd window and it works fine that way, I will probable just create a batch that opens cmd then swaps to admin then runs swgaide.jar for a workaround with windows 7. My laptop runs xp and I have absolutely no problems on there.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 am

wannab wrote:That is correct about the error log, at least that is what it seems to be doing...
Noooow I get it, yes, SWGAide will try for every mail it found in SWG's profiles folder. Just earlier today I changed this so it will bail out after the first mail that fails...however, per character. A lot less spam in the logs though.

wannab wrote:... create a batch that opens cmd then swaps to admin then runs swgaide.jar for a workaround with windows 7. My laptop runs xp and I have absolutely no problems on there.
Glad to hear that. There is a simple bat file inside the JAR, perhaps you can augment that one. Just up the min and max heap size, I have perhaps not adjusted these values in a while.

/Zimoon

wannab
Novice Crafter

Post by wannab » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:04 pm

the batch file didnt work, but what i did find was that javaw.exe must be set to run as admin, took a little bit of trial and error but it is working correctly now, if anyone else is having problems running swgaide on windows 7 try setting javaw.exe to run as admin. hope this helps

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Glad you mentioned that. Have not seen anybody mention this, but I have read at Java forums that MS has had problems with their security system versus Java :(

Thanks for the info

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 pm

wannab wrote:the batch file didnt work, but what i did find was that javaw.exe must be set to run as admin, took a little bit of trial and error but it is working correctly now, if anyone else is having problems running swgaide on windows 7 try setting javaw.exe to run as admin. hope this helps
I have finally got hands of a machine with Windows 7 and can confirm that this works.

It is an acknowledged issue that Windows 7 has a stricter policy regarding Java JAR files that are launched within their own Explorer. In one way it is good, it prevents mindless users from executing a potentially "lethal" application. However, any application can pose a threat, and many Microsoft applications that are equally dangerous or even worse are not restricted, so you do the math 8)

So far I have confirmed that it does not work with changing the admin settings at the JAR file -- it does not matter what the permissions for other files and folders are, neither in SWGAide folder nor SWG.

It does not matter if the folder for SWGAide or the JAR file is in the User sandbox or elsewhere.

The BAT file does not execute in Admin mode, it starts and exits, just that.

There are two ways to launch SWGAide at Windows Vista and have it work with mails.

From "Command Prompt" --- navigate to the folder where SWGAide.JAR is, and type java -jar SWGAide.jar
Naah, who wants to do that regularly? :(

The second way is the advice above,
- find the file javaw.exe. It is usually in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\
- right click and open Propertties -> Compatibility
- almost at the bottom, select "Run this program as an administrator"
This should help.

Notice, I have admin privileges on my machine, though some options are restricted and disabled (my work's laptop) but it did not help, the issue is that Microsoft in its wisdom has tightened a potential security risk but only for Java they have not provided an easy way around.

I will continue to search, there must be easier ways around this, some huge applications are written in Java and they do not face this problem. So ,..

/Zimoon