Resource percentages

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Karo
Novice Crafter

Resource percentages

Post by Karo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 pm

If I am going to make Proton MkII missiles, they require radioactive and steel. On the schematic, OQ counts for 50% and PE counts for the other 50%. My confusion comes in with the percentages on SWGCU for the stat cap. Even if you have a resource with an OQ of 500 and that is its cap, isn't it still better to use a resource that has an OQ of 600, even if its cap is 1000?

If so, then why is knowing the stat cap is, and not just looking for the stat you need.

If not, then again the same question. Why does the stat cap matter? Why not just look for a new resource with a higher stat?

Also, what does resource quality directly effect in the crafting process? What does it mean when OQ counts for 50% and PE 50%?

Also Also, in MkII Proton missiles, OQ and PE of the radioactive are taken into account, but when you add the steel, only the OQ is. Do I need to have a radioactive with a high OQ and PE, and a steel with a high OQ, or is it that I just need to make sure that one of them has a high OQ, such as if I used a radioactive with a PE of 1000 and an OQ of 0, but a steel of OQ 1000 and PE 0, would I essentially have PE 1000 and OQ 1000, or would it combine the stats on the materials used and give me PE 500 and OQ 500?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Please have a look at the Beginners Guide for Traders, Chapter 8 on Power Crafting. There I try to explain when and when not the caps are considered. Actually I updated it just a few minutes earlier.

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Resource percentages

Post by Savacc » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:02 am

Karo wrote:If I am going to make Proton MkII missiles, they require radioactive and steel. On the schematic, OQ counts for 50% and PE counts for the other 50%. My confusion comes in with the percentages on SWGCU for the stat cap. Even if you have a resource with an OQ of 500 and that is its cap, isn't it still better to use a resource that has an OQ of 600, even if its cap is 1000?

If so, then why is knowing the stat cap is, and not just looking for the stat you need.

If not, then again the same question. Why does the stat cap matter? Why not just look for a new resource with a higher stat?

Also, what does resource quality directly effect in the crafting process? What does it mean when OQ counts for 50% and PE 50%?

Also Also, in MkII Proton missiles, OQ and PE of the radioactive are taken into account, but when you add the steel, only the OQ is. Do I need to have a radioactive with a high OQ and PE, and a steel with a high OQ, or is it that I just need to make sure that one of them has a high OQ, such as if I used a radioactive with a PE of 1000 and an OQ of 0, but a steel of OQ 1000 and PE 0, would I essentially have PE 1000 and OQ 1000, or would it combine the stats on the materials used and give me PE 500 and OQ 500?
This thread belongs in the crafting forum, the resource forum is about reporting resources, crafting is about how to use them.

Lots of questions here, besides pointing you to Z's outstanding guide, let's see if I can give you some specific answers.

On the question of when to take resource caps into account. Generally you should try to know what the caps are, becuase when applicable they are always taken into account. They matter most when a specific "named" resource is called for. In your example, missiles call for "High Grade Polymetric" Radioactives, not just any radioactive. Unfortunately, High Grade Poly does not have any caps, but if it did, like say PE was capped at 800, then a High Grade Poly with PE of 782 would be treated like it was 99%, or 990 in an uncapped radioactive.
The second way caps are taken into account is when a generic resource is called for, but the resource has a "parent cap" that is less then 1000 for that stat. In your example steel is a generic resource and any steel will work to make missiles. However OQ on steel is not capped, so its another bad example here. Lets imagine that missiles need CD instead. (In making ships, lots of schematics call for CD and steel, so its a good exapmle). The "parent cap" for CD on steel is 650. So you might have a steel with CD 640 and think its awful, but in reality its awesome.

Let me give you a couple examples to help clear things up. If missiles called for "Rhodium Steel" and CD instead of OQ, then a Rhadium Steel with a CD of 84 would be awesome (the CD cap for Rhodium is 1-85). However if missiles call for just "steel" and CD, then that Rhodium steel would suck, because the "parent cap" for steel is 1-650.

To add some confussion, there are resources that exceed the "parent caps". These are known as the "JTL resources". There are two JTL steels, Crystllized Bicarbantium Steel and Hardened Arveshium Steel, that have CD of 1-1000 (uncapped). If you use one of these steels in a schematic that calls for CD and a steel, then any CD stat over 650 is treated like it were 650. That is it becomes 100%, it will not go over 100%. To further add confussion, there used to be a "CD bug" where CD did not work like I am describing. That "CD bug" has been fixed, and my examples do work as intended.

On your question of what happens when a resource does not have a stat called for in a schematic, I know Z covers in his guide, but here it is.
When a resource does not have a stat, it is taken out of consideration and only the resources with that stat are considered.
Your example of missiles, this time, is excellent. Missiles call for steel and radioactives with OQ 50% and PE 50%. In your question, you ask what happens if you have a radioactive with OQ 0 and PE 1000, and a steel with OQ 1000 and no PE stat (you incorrectly gave it a PE 0 stat, when in fact steel has no PE stat). You ask is the final result OQ 1000 PE 1000, or OQ 500 PE 500? The answer is neither, its OQ 500 PE 1000. The math looks like this. The values are added togather and then averaged.
OQ = (0 + 1000)/2
PE = 1000
remember steel has no PE stat so it is not entered into the equasion.

There is one more step in the process, to take the OQ 50% and PE 50% into account.
(500 * 0.50) + (1000 * 0.50) = 750
750, or 75% becomes the highest these missles could be experimented to.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Resource percentages

Post by Zimoon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:49 pm

Savacc wrote:There is one more step in the process, to take the OQ 50% and PE 50% into account.
(500 * 0.50) + (1000 * 0.50) = 750
750, or 75% becomes the highest these missles could be experimented to.
Shouldn't also the amounts be considered. If they are equal this example works, but if Steel is 2000 units and Radioactive only 1000 that will boost the result would be different.

On a side note, no resource can have a stat of 0, 1 is the lowest value possible. In some files out there you may find 0, but then it is only an indication of a stat that is never present in that resource class.

To expand on this, some classes also have a lower cap. The lower cap is never considered in the formulas (SOE tried once about 2½ years ago but quickly reverted the try). However, it has some meaning in that these classes actually have a higher likelihood to spawn with good stats than classes without a lower cap. That is the foremost reason that many Mustafarian resources spawn with great stats, they have a lower cap quite high up the ladder.

Have we confused you enough now? ;)

/Z

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:04 pm

Z is, of course, right. I almost mentioned that the schematic takes about four times as much steel as radioactives, and that will be factored in. However I ended up deciding that wouldnt help in this example. That a stat can not be zero, I didnt catch.